Having read many articles about the “greatness” of WebScarab as a web application auditting tool, I am eager to install it on my system. As far as I can remember, I’ve already installed it before, but on my other system, and it should already been gone, because my brother already formatted the disk. :D
When I first install the WebScarab installer (webscarab-installer-20070504-1631.jar), the installer run smoothly until it wanted to copy the files. At first I thought this was a download problem, so I download it again, but the problem still persist. I just give the following command :
$ java -jar webscarab-installer-20070504-1631.jar
After thinking for a while, I found out where the problem was. Apparently, the above command (java) is linked to :
It is contained in java-1_4_2-gcj-compat-184.108.40.206-33 package. From the description :
This package contains shell scripts and symbolic links to simulate a JPackage Java runtime environment with GCJ.
Aaargggh….that’s the problem. This is not Sun JDK package.
So I rush to download the latest Sun JDK package. After several hours and sixty million bytes later, the download finished successfully. I unpack and install the JDK and cross my fingers :
# rpm -Uvh jdk-6u1-linux-i586.rpm
The installation run smoothly, so I install WebScarab again. But this time I use this command :
$ /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_01/bin/java -jar webscarab-installer-20070504-1631.jar
This time the installer run successfully.
Next, I fix the WebScarab icon link on the desktop and the KDE menu. Just change the command from :
java -jar “/home/tedi/WebScarab/webscarab.jar”
/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_01/bin/java -jar “/home/tedi/WebScarab/webscarab.jar”
Don’t forget to save your changes.
Now I’m able to install and start WebScarab. It’s time to learn how to use it. :D