Customizing SLAX – part 1

I am currently learning about how to produce live Linux CD system. Yes I know, this may be very old and very simple for you. But I haven’t sharpen my Linux skills since a year and half. This will be a good practise.

I chose SLAX (www.slax.org) because the manual said it was developed to be hacked. So here I am customizing SLAX.

In the first part of the customization, I will remove a SLAX module and add several modules (antivirus, wiping utilities, hash utilities). That’s look very easy. :D

Here are the steps I took to do my objectives :

– Download the SLAX base from http://slax.linux-live.org

– Download the required modules from the above site. The modules I downloaded are :

– ClamAV 0.88.4
– md5deep_sha1deep
– wipe

– After finish download SLAX base and its module, I copy the whole SLAX base to my working directory :

# mount -t iso9660 -o loop slax-5.18.iso /media/images
# mkdir /home/tedi/projects/slax
# cp -R /media/images /home/tedi/projects/slax
# chown -R tedi.users /home/tedi/projects/slax/*

– Then I change to the SLAX directory :

$ cd projects/slax

– Remove kde_office.mo module

$ rm base/08_kde_office.mo

– Move three modules to modules/ directory :

$ mv ~/*.mo modules/

Here is the content of the modules/ directory :

-rw-r–r– 1 tedi users 6758400 2006-12-06 12:11 ClamAV_0_88_4.mo
-rw-r–r– 1 tedi users 118784 2006-12-06 11:37 md5deep_sha1deep_etc_1_12.mo
-rw-r–r– 1 tedi users 40960 2006-12-06 11:37 wipe_0_20_1-1.mo

– After that I create a new SLAX iso :

$ ./make_iso.sh ../slax-new.iso
INFO: UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
use -input-charset to override.
mkisofs 2.01 (i686-suse-linux)
Scanning .
Scanning ./base
Scanning ./boot
Scanning ./boot/DOS
Excluded by match: ./boot/isolinux.boot
Scanning ./devel
Scanning ./modules
Scanning ./optional
Scanning ./rootcopy
Scanning ./tools
Scanning ./tools/WIN
Writing: Initial Padblock Start Block 0
Done with: Initial Padblock Block(s) 16
Writing: Primary Volume Descriptor Start Block 16
Done with: Primary Volume Descriptor Block(s) 1
Writing: Eltorito Volume Descriptor Start Block 17
Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
Done with: Eltorito Volume Descriptor Block(s) 1
Writing: Joliet Volume Descriptor Start Block 18
Done with: Joliet Volume Descriptor Block(s) 1
Writing: End Volume Descriptor Start Block 19
Done with: End Volume Descriptor Block(s) 1
Writing: Version block Start Block 20
Done with: Version block Block(s) 1
Writing: Path table Start Block 21
Done with: Path table Block(s) 4
Writing: Joliet path table Start Block 25
Done with: Joliet path table Block(s) 4
Writing: Directory tree Start Block 29
Done with: Directory tree Block(s) 11
Writing: Joliet directory tree Start Block 40
Done with: Joliet directory tree Block(s) 10
Writing: Directory tree cleanup Start Block 50
Done with: Directory tree cleanup Block(s) 0
Writing: Extension record Start Block 50
Done with: Extension record Block(s) 1
Writing: The File(s) Start Block 51
5.51% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:06 2006
11.03% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:15 2006
16.55% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:30 2006
22.05% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:28 2006
27.56% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:27 2006
33.08% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:30 2006
38.58% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:29 2006
44.10% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:30 2006
49.60% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:32 2006
55.13% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:33 2006
60.63% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:34 2006
66.15% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:36 2006
71.65% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:35 2006
77.17% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:37 2006
82.67% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:37 2006
88.19% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:37 2006
93.69% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:36 2006
99.20% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 23:23:37 2006
Total translation table size: 2048
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 7043
Total directory bytes: 18432
Path table size(bytes): 134
Done with: The File(s) Block(s) 90525
Writing: Ending Padblock Start Block 90576
Done with: Ending Padblock Block(s) 150
Max brk space used 0
90726 extents written (177 MB)

– To test the new iso, I use “qemu” :

$ cd
$ qemu -cdrom slax-new.iso -boot d

– When the new SLAX started, I login and check whether the new modules are there, and yes they are.

– Time to celebrate…. :d

In the next installment, I will try to modify existing modules and add several more application to SLAX.

Until next time

2 thoughts on “Customizing SLAX – part 1

  1. I know, I have also gotten into slax because of its
    ease of use and modification, not to mention the
    speed.. I just recently completed converting the
    entire version 12.0 dvd to lzm format.. Everything
    has been working as planned. now to set up
    some scripts that can be used to make customization
    a bit easier for family and friends that want something
    to their own liking… heck i think im using my flashdrive
    more then im using my windows drive… go figure……..

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s