Testing Web Performance with httperf

I got another tool for testing webperformance. This tool is httperf. It was developed by David Mosberger from HP.

The installation process is very smooth and usual :

$ ./configure
$ make

# make install

Next I try httperf to issue 1000 HTTP requests :

$ httperf –server localhost –port 80 –num-conns 100 –rate 10 –timeout 2

The above command will create 100 connections during 10 seconds (1000 requests).

Here is the result (it is not pretty) :

Total: connections 100 requests 100 replies 100 test-duration 9.901 s

Connection rate: 10.1 conn/s (99.0 ms/conn, Connection time [ms]: min 0.1 avg 0.3 max 15.0 median 0.5 stddev 1.5
Connection time [ms]: connect 0.0
Connection length [replies/conn]: 1.000

Request rate: 10.1 req/s (99.0 ms/req)
Request size [B]: 60.0

Reply rate [replies/s]: min 10.0 avg 10.0 max 10.0 stddev 0.0 (1 samples)
Reply time [ms]: response 0.3 transfer 0.0
Reply size [B]: header 217.0 content 3880.0 footer 0.0 (total 4097.0)
Reply status: 1xx=0 2xx=100 3xx=0 4xx=0 5xx=0

CPU time [s]: user 0.38 system 9.50 (user 3.9% system 95.9% total 99.8%)
Net I/O: 41.0 KB/s (0.3*10^6 bps)

Errors: total 0 client-timo 0 socket-timo 0 connrefused 0 connreset 0
Errors: fd-unavail 0 addrunavail 0 ftab-full 0 other 0

I leave the interpretation of the above statistics to the readers.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s